Thursday, May 19, 2011

Machiavelli

I've just received an e-mail from The Center for Great Ideas which explains my feelings for you in Ozu's films:
Machiavelli on reading great books:

Niccolo Machiavelli's letter to his friend, Francesco Vettori (1513)

When evening has come, I return to my house and go into my study. At the door I take off my clothes of the day, covered with mud and mire, and I put on my regal and courtly garments; and decently reclothed, I enter the ancient courts of ancient men, where, received by them lovingly, I feed on the food that alone is mine and that I was born for. There I am not ashamed to speak with them and to ask them the reasons for their actions; and they in their humanity reply to me. And for the space of four hours I feel no boredom, I forget every pain, I do not fear poverty, death does not frighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment